Latest News

Parken Stadium - Copenhagen

Parken Stadium - Copenhagen

Friday February 20, 2009Micah's Say... FC Copenhagen v Manchester City

By Rhonda Richards | In Micah's Say

Manchester City had to settle for a 2-2 draw having twice taken the lead against FC Copenhagen in the first-leg of their last-32 Uefa Cup clash, and Micah gave his thoughts on the result.

The hosts were playing in their first competitive fixture since mid-December due to the winter break common in leagues around Europe, though Mark Hughes took no chances and opted to field a strong line-up which saw Micah shake off a foot injury to reclaim his place in the starting eleven.

Despite the blustery, freezing conditions and City’s relatively poor away form, it was the Premier League side that started the game brighter, Shaun Wright-Phillips firing in the first shot of the game which was blocked by Jesper Christiansen.

A fine ball by Stephen Ireland then cut open the home side’s defence, though Wayne Bridge’s subsequent ball across found an offside Craig Bellamy.

The lack of football was clearly taking its toll on Copenhagen in the opening exchanges, and it was perhaps as a result of this that the side’s goalkeeper let in a tame effort from Nedum Onouha.

The City man fired in a shot that looked destined to be saved by Christiansen, but the stopper somehow allow the ball to escape his grasp and wind up in the back of the goal, much to the dismay of the home faithful.

The Eastlanders continued to dominate proceedings and Pablo Zabaleta burst forward seeking a second only to watch his effort drift wide, though Craig Bellamy was calling for a pass into the centre as he waited unmarked.

The pace of the game dropped soon after, though Copenhagen found a way through the City defence via a corner as Ailton Almeida connected with a firm headed to draw his side level.

However, as the threat of rising Copenhagen confidence loomed, Stephen Ireland half-volleyed into the back of the net from Wright-Phillips’ cross to edge Hughes’ men back in front, handing them a second away goal.

Disappointment followed soon after once again, though, as Martin Vingaard drifted into the box and headed beyond Shay Given, though City will still go into the second-leg at the City of Manchester Stadium as slight favourites.

“Before the game we would perhaps have taken a score draw, but obviously the way it turned out it feels a bit like a defeat,” Micah said.

“We had plenty of chances to win the game, but to be fair to Copenhagen they did well to stay in the game and get the draw.”

Despite the final score-line, the 20-year old remains confident ahead of the reverse fixture, especially based on City’s first-half performance.

“I really hope we progress to the next round, but we’re in the driving seat,” Micah continued.

“We could and perhaps should have finished the tie off, but that’s football.”