Latest News

City of Manchester Stadium

Saturday January 15, 2011Manchester City 4 - 3 Wolves

By William Wood | In Match Reports - Home Games

A thrilling game at the City of Manchester stadium eventually saw Manchester City secure a 4-3 win after a Wolves fight-back, with Edin Dzeko making his much anticipated debut.

A back injury ruled Micah out for a clash that pitted two in-form sides against each other. Indeed, Wolves’ recent form had only been bettered by the two Manchester sides, and the confidence of Mick McCarthy’s men was there for all to see as Steven Fletcher flashed a fine effort just wide of Joe Hart’s post early on.

It was the visitors who seized the lead with 13 minutes on the clock, Nenad Milijas seeing his first effort brilliantly saved by Hart but capitalizing on the reboud to make it 1-0.

The goal-scorer almost made it two with an instinctive header that Hart had to claim from the air, and an almost certain goal from Matt Jarvis after fine work by Wolves down the left was magnificently blocked by Aleksander Kolarov.

Adam Johnson was the liveliest of City’s players and he dribbled passed three Wolves players and shot on goal, only for Wayne Hennessey to parry clear.

Against the run of play, though, City did manage to level proceedings. Vincent Kompany flicked on a corner and Kolo Toure was there to add the finish, despite the best efforts of Wolves’ stopper.

If McCarthy and his troops felt hard done by City’s goal, they were to feel even worse two minutes after the restart as City took the lead.

Tevez picked the ball up outside Wolves’ area but with sheer determination and skill he took the ball through three defenders before slotting home to make it 2-1.

The Argentina international was really turning it on and Hennessey had to tip away another effort a minute later as the striker turned and picked his spot, though he could do little to prevent the hosts from making it three shortly after.

A marauding run by Yaya Toure saw him lay the ball off to Dzeko, and the debutant played an inch perfect ball to the Ivory Coast midfielder who lashed the ball home.

It was four moments later as Pablo Zabaleta sent the ball back in to Wolves’ box to an unmarked Tevez, and his compatriot did the rest as City seemingly put the game to bed.

However, Wolves were not yet dead and they were soon only two goals to the worse. Joleon Lescott was adjudged to have climbed on Kevin Doyle, the forward picked himself up and converted the spot-kick to make it 4-2.

Seconds after Yaya Toure had seen an effort wonderfully saved by Hennessey, Wolves had pulled another back. Rolad Zubar rose highest to meet a swinging corner and while Nigel De Jong thought he had stopped the ball crossing the line, the linesman flagged to award the goal and make it 4-3 with four minutes remaining.

City did, however, have enough left in the tank to hold on to the three points which sent them back to the top of the table as an entertaining clash came to a close.

Man City: Hart, Zabaleta, Toure, Kompany, Kolarov, De Jong, Barry, Adam Johnson, Toure Yaya, Tevez, Dzeko. Subs: Given, Milner, Boateng, Lescott, Silva, Vieira, Jo.

Wolverhampton: Hennessey, Zubar, Stearman, Berra, Ward, Hunt, Milijas, David Jones, Jarvis, Doyle, Fletcher. Subs: Hahnemann, Henry, Vokes, Mouyokolo, Mujangi Bia, Davis, Doherty.