Latest News

Micah against Barnsley

Sunday October 25, 2009Manchester City 2 - 2 Fulham

By William Wood | In Match Reports - Home Games

Fulham came back from two goals down to secure a 2-2 draw with Manchester City, though it could have been very different had Micah’s first-half header been allowed to stand.

With Pablo Zabaleta suspended, Micah returned to right-back following his stint in the centre of City’s defence a week earlier, with Emmanuel Adebayor and Carlos Tevez leading from the front.

The hosts had the first chance of the game as Martin Petrov’s corner found Craig Bellamy, but the Wales international blasted his volley well over, while minutes later some fine link-up play between Adebayor, Bellamy and Tevez saw the latter drag his shot wide.

Diomansay Kamara should, however, have given Fulham the lead when he beat the offside trap and broke through on goal, but a poor touch allowed Shay Given to race off his line and scoop up the ball.

Bellamy was continuing the kind of form that has made him one of the first names on the team-sheet in recent weeks, and from his lightning-quick burst down the left Adebayor failed to trouble Mark Schwarzer with a back-heel on goal.

City were creating more chances if not quite seizing a hold on possession, and Nigel De Jong drew a fine save from Fulham’s stopper after 25 minutes when he found the target from 30-yards only for the Australian to palm clear at full stretch.

Fulham retaliated through Jonathon Greening, though the former Manchester
United midfielder missed the target after a nice interchange between Kamara and Damien Duff.

Adebayor was looking lively and he went close after skipping passed two defenders and getting his shot away, though moments later City did get the ball in the back of the net only for the referee to cancel the goal out.

Micah climbed highest and powered the ball beyond Schwarzer, but as he turned away and celebrated the opener, the cheers were replaced by jeers as a supposed foul in the build-up saw the referee award a free-kick to the visitors.

It could also have been so different had Bobby Zamora not missed an open goal from eight yards after Given had denied Dempsey, and the effort will go down as one of the misses of the season thus far.

Mark Hughes’ side eventually found a break through when Adebayor scuffed his shot on goal but it found its way through to Joleon Lescott who added the finishing touch, in the process netting his first for City.

And the lead was doubled soon after when Petrov evaded one challenge and curled the ball inside the post, capping off a successful week for the Bulgarian.

The Cottagers hit back immediately, however. Zamora chested the ball down to Duff and the Republic of Ireland international drilled it home, and things took a turn for the worse when Roy Hodgson’s men found an equaliser.

Dempsey out-jumped Lescott to head home and silence the City of Manchester crowd, though Micah was inches from connecting with a danger ball into the Fulham box.

Brede Hangeland had a header cleared off the line as Fulham turned the screw, though Gareth Barry went close with a header of his own following fine work from Shaun Wright-Phillips.

As it was both sides had to settle for a point as Fulham once again came from behind in a match-up with their northern rivals, and Hughes will demand more from his side if they are to realise their top-four ambitions.

Man City: Given, Richards, Toure, Lescott, Bridge, De Jong, Barry, Petrov, Bellamy, Adebayor, Tevez. Subs: Taylor, Johnson, Ireland, Wright-Phillips, Sylvinho, Kompany, Weiss.

Fulham: Schwarzer, Pantsil, Hangeland, Hughes, Kelly, Duff, Greening, Baird, Dempsey, Kamara, Zamora. Subs: Zuberbuhler, Seol, Nevland, Gera, Riise, Eddie Johnson, Smalling.


Manchester City: Lescott (53’), Petrov (60’)

Fulham: Duff (62’), Dempsey (68’)