Latest News

Micah is happy with his team's winning start to the season

Micah is happy with his team's winning start to the season

Saturday August 22, 2009Manchester City 1-0 Wolves

By William Wood | In Match Reports - Home Games

Manchester City continued their winning start to the season with a 1-0 victory over newly-promoted Wolves at the City of Manchester stadium, with Micah in solid form in the right-back spot.

Manager Mark Hughes opted to make several changes to the team that secured a 1-0 victory over Barcelona during the week, with Micah, Robinho and Emmanuel Adebayor restored to the starting line-up while Carlos Tevez made his full competitive debut.

The visitors were on the back-foot from the off, with Shaun Wright-Phillips probing down the right and almost setting Tevez on his way within five minutes.

However, as the game progressed and City pushed forward it allowed gaps for Wolves to attack themselves, with Andy Keogh scuffing a shot from the edge of the box with 12 minutes on the clock.

Micah, Adebayor and Tevez were combining well to create openings from the right-side of midfield, and City eventually found a way through Wolves’ defence after 17 minutes.

Tevez – who had already tested the Wolves resolve with two early shots – dinked in a ball towards Adebayor and the Togo international turned his man and fired the ball home to continue his fine form in a City shirt, in the process sending the home faithful into raptures.

Wright-Phillips continued to pose a threat, with Stephen Ward called into action on a number of occasions, while Adebayor struck a shot that was scooped up by Wayne Hennessey.

The Wolves stopper was once again called into action as Robinho collected Adebayor’s deft pass and the Brazilian curled in a low effort, and a minute later an almost identical move saw Hennessey collected the ball once again.

City were also posing a threat from set-pieces, with Tevez striking a free-kick against the wall before forcing Wolves’ keeper into another fine stop, this time from the rebound, and he was on hand to tip over another Robinho effort on 31 minutes.

It wasn’t all going City’s way, however, with Matt Jarvis sending Given diving with a swooping effort from 30-yards, though the home side responded as Tevez headed just wide.

Mick McCarthy shifted his side around at half-time, though it was much as before as City went close to doubling their advantage, Stephen Ireland playing a neat one-two with Robinho before missing the target from six yards.

Micah was trying to push forward at every opportunity but he was equally adept at the back, sliding in on Ward as the Wolves man set up to cross.

City were still creating chances, with Adebayor set through by Ireland and taking the ball round Hennessey only to touch the ball too wide and miss the target with the follow up shot.

Hughes celebrated on the touchline as Robinho found the back of the net at the far post, but the linesman’s flag signalled offside and it remained 1-0.

There was a warning for the Eastlanders as Keogh worked a yard of pace and struck the bar with Given well beaten, though Craig Bellamy should have directed the ball home as he slid in only to miss it by inches.

City held on to secure the three points as Wolves committed men to the attack, and while Hughes will be pleased to see his side continue their winning start to the season, he will be concerned by their inability to kill off the game.


Manchester City: Emmanuel Adebayor (17’)

Wolves: None

Man City: Given, Richards, Dunne, Toure, Bridge, Wright-Phillips, Ireland,
Barry, Tevez, Adebayor, Robinho
Subs: Taylor, Onuoha, Zabaleta, Petrov, De Jong, Bellamy, Weiss

Wolverhampton: Hennessey, Stearman, Craddock, Mancienne, Stephen Ward,
Henry, Halford, Edwards, Jarvis, Milijas, Keogh
Subs: Hahnemann, Elokobi, Surman, David Jones, Berra, Vokes, Doyle.