Latest News

Manchester City Fans

Monday August 8, 2011Man City 2-3 Man United

By Rhonda Richards | In Match Reports - Away Games

A Manchester United comeback stunned Manchester City in the Community Shield clash at Wembley, with Roberto Mancini’s men relinquishing a 2-0 advantage.

Micah played the entirety of the clash in the right-back berth, buoyed by his England call-up, whilst City’s latest Galactico signing, Sergio Aguerro, was named among the substitutes.

Sir Alex Ferguson’s men started the brighter of the two sides, Ashley Young looking lively for his new side and linking up well with Wayne Rooney only for the latter’s shot to be deflected behind by Joleon Lescott.

The Red Devils went close again a minute later, Young’s corner finally rebounding to Chris Smalling only for Lescott to inadvertently knock the ball to Joe Hart who gathered.

City eventually began to test their opponent’s defence, earning a few corners and Micah powering forward when he could, whilst he received a yellow card for a crunching tackle on Young soon after.

The stats told the story midway through the first-half with United enjoying 66% of possession, and Danny Welbeck went close with a looping header, but it was City who grabbed the advantage against the run of play.

Davd Silva – impressive throughout pre-season – curled a free-kick in and Lescott rose highest to turn it home and make it 1-0 and silence the otherwise noisy United support.

And with Ferguson’s men rattled, Edin Dzeko doubled the lead. Picking the ball up around the half-way line, the United defence backed off and he subsequently hit a powerful drive from 35-yards out which evaded De Gea – though the stopper should have done better.

It’s doubtful that Mancini would have envisaged a two goal advantage reflecting on the first-half, and it wasn’t to last long in the second-half of the league champions fought their way back into the game.

Ferguson made three changes at the break, and the additions immediately made their presence felt with some nice interchange in the middle of the park. However, it was two members of the starting 11 that grabbed one back for their side.

Young curled in a free-kick from the left wing and Chris Smalling evaded his marker to coast in at the right moment and flick the ball over Hart to make it 2-1.

It was City on the back-foot, and it didn’t take long for the red half of Manchester to level the match. Fantastic build up play involving Rooney, Cleverley and Welbeck eventually saw Nani collect the ball and chip it into the back of the net to make it 2-2 and cap off a tremendous period for the Red Devils.

Momentum was with those in red, and Rooney found far too much space in City’s defence on two occasions, spurning the opportunity both times. Meanwhile, Micah and Young continued to battle down the right flank, a key component of the game and one that was as intriguing as it was bruising for both players.

Micah looked to have gone close with a towering header only for the whistle to go for a foul on Smalling, and that was to be as good as it got for City as United grabbed a winner.

Vincent Kompany – otherwise solid at the back – dithered as the ball approached him on the half-way line, and Nani nicked it off him before taking the ball round Hart and slotting home to make it 3-2 with seconds remaining and hand the Community Shield to his side.

In truth, the two goal advantage had flattered City, though Mancini will be disappointed by the way his side relinquished the lead once they had. For Micah, it was an assured display for this stage in the season, and he now turns his attention to Wednesday and England’s clash with the Netherlands.