Latest News

Silva celebrates his goal

Sunday August 21, 2011Bolton 2 - 3 Manchester City

By William Wood | In Match Reports - Away Games

Manchester City continued their great start to the season with a 3-2 win at Bolton on Sunday afternoon in a highly entertaining encounter.

It was an impressive performance from City who dominated the game, despite what was in the end a close score-line. City’s overall quality was too much for their opposition and Roberto Mancini’s men displayed excellent movement, fluidity and an increased attacking verve.

Micah again started at right back, playing the full 90 minutes, and constantly broke forward whilst to support City’s ever-potent attack – bagging his second assist of the season in the process.

City took their full allocation, with about 5,000 fans making the short trip up to Bolton, and the City faithful would have been encouraged as the Blues began to assert themselves after an initially fast paced and somewhat scrappy start to the game from both teams. James Milner went close on 18 minutes, almost sneaking the ball under the Bolton keeper Jaaskelainen after meeting a fizzing cross from Kolarov.

However the lead was to come soon after, as Micah drove into the box from the right and pulled the ball back to Silva who hit an awkward swerving shot that Jaaskelainen could only parry into the goal behind him.

City continued to look dangerous, Silva again testing Jaaskelainen and Aguero – starting after his impressive debut on Monday – missing a good chance. Micah was then unlucky not to get his second assist of the game half an hour in when he stormed forward into the Bolton area, reaching the ball before the pursuing Petrov, and squaring it for Aguero to slot home. The goal however was disallowed after Micah was harshly deemed to have fouled Petrov, in what appeared legitimate shoulder-to-shoulder contact.

Shortly afterwards, City would double their lead after the Bolton defence failed to pick up Gareth Barry from a corner. The excellent Silva found Barry lurking outside the box, and the England international steadied himself before hammering an unstoppable effort into the top right for 2-0, with Micah doing well to dodge out of the way.

Bolton would hit straight back with an excellent goal of their own, however, as the dangerous Petrov volleyed a low cross in from the left and Ivan Klasnic got across his man to rifle in a low half volley on the turn to keep Bolton in touch.

The first half ended much as it began, with a traditionally fast paced and fiery Premier League encounter, and Bolton buoyed by their goal.

However the home side were to be deflated within minutes, as the impressive Edin Dzeko held off defenders to knock the ball through and fire a low hard shot into the net, restoring City’s two goal cushion.

City began to dominate, with Silva, Milner and Dzeko linking well, whilst Micah and his fellow full-back, Kolarov, adventurously bombed forward.

Just as it looked like City would find a fourth, Bolton again hit back against the run of play. A free-kick was drifted in from deep and the ever willing Kevin Davies rose to flick a header just beyond the reach of Joe Hart.

City, though, appeared not to feel the pressure and continued to play with creativity and fluidity. There were further chances for the substitute Adam Johnson and the ever-busy Silva was brilliantly blocked by Knight, having been set up by the returning Tevez.

Bolton could not create a final chance as City defended resolutely and the 90 minutes ran down with the visitors again looking comfortable.

This second impressive performance of the week will have City fans purring with excitement, and their season has begun in just the fashion that Mancini will have hoped. Perhaps more importantly, they will be enthused to see if they can end the season where they now currently sit in the table. Top.

Bolton: Jaaskelainen; Steinsson, Cahil, Knight, Robinson; Eagles, Muamba, Reo-Coker, Petrov, K Davies

Man City: Hart; Richards, Kompany, Lescott, Kolarov; Barry; Milner, Toure, Silva; Aguero, Dzeko