Latest News

Man City

Sunday October 17, 2010Blackpool 2 - 3 Manchester City

By Rhonda Richards | In Match Reports - Away Games

Micah made a late return from injury in an enthralling game that saw Manchester City move into second in the Premier League courtesy of a 3-2 away win against Blackpool.

Having missed the last month or so with a troublesome hamstring, Micah was delighted to get a run out for Roberto Mancini’s side in the engaging clash.

Adam Johnson has been in fine form in recent weeks and he cut in from the right and fired on goal early on, with the shot requiring the full attention of Matthew Gilks.

At the other end Luke Varney kept Joe Hart busy after a fluid move from the hosts, with the England stopper having to palm clear, and the midfielder missed a subsequent effort after fine work by DJ Campbel.

Gary Taylor-Fletcher should have done better from 20-yards out but he miscued his shot, and at the other end David Vaughan was in the right place at the right time to dispossess Emmanuel Adebayor as he looked a sure-fire to score following good work from Carlos Tevez.

Ian Holloway was assigned to the stands due to a touchline ban but he will have been delighted with his players as they left the field for half-time having given City the run around for large spells, whilst Mancini had much to do to rejuvenate his side.

Despite that, it was Blackpool who could and should have edged in front as Campbell missed the goal from six yards with the back of the net at his mercy, and it was a chance the side were made to rue minutes later.

First, Tevez saw the ball just evade his outstretched foot before being cleared by Blackpool’s defence, before Joleon Lescott volleyed wide from eight yards.

Next, Neal Eardley saw his curling effort tipped round the post by Hart, and Tevez was the man to put City in front as he connected brilliantly with substitute David Silva’s cross to turn the ball home and make it 1-0 to the Eastlanders.

James Milner then sprung into action as he curled the ball goalwards only to watch it rebound off the crossbar, and with 14 minutes remaining Micah came on for Jerome Boateng on the right of City’s defence.

There was still time for plenty of action, however, and Blackpool drew level as Charlie Adam whipped in a cross that Marlon Harewood deftly headed beyond Hart, though the celebrations were cut short as Tevez immediately restored City’s advantage.

Wayne Bridge, who gave the free-kick away from which Blackpool score, raced through a series of the home side’s players and though Holloway’s men thought Tevez committed a foul to win the ball back, the Argentina international’s deflected shot made it 2-1.

The diminutive forward then struck the woodwork as he hunted a hat-trick, but the visitors weren’t to be denied again moments later.

A short free-kick from Milner to Silva saw the Spaniard zig-zag passed two Blackpool defenders before curling inside the far post to put the result beyond doubt.

However, the action wasn’t to end there as the seasiders threw men forward and grabbed a late second as Taylor-Fletcher punced on Varney’s wayward shot.

Both of Tevez’s goals will be the focus of debate this evening, but it was a positive for Micah personally and professionally as City secured the three points.

Blackpool: Gilks, Eardley, Evatt, Cathcart, Crainey, Grandin, Vaughan, Adam, Taylor-Fletcher, Campbell, Varney. Subs: Kingson, Southern, Harewood, Sylvestre, Phillips, Carney, Keinan.

Manchester City: Hart, Boateng, Kompany, Lescott, Bridge, Adam Johnson, De Jong, Barry, Milner, Tevez, Adebayor. Subs: Given, Richards, Zabaleta, Wright-Phillips, Santa Cruz, Silva, Vieira