Latest News

Micah against Barnsley

Micah against Barnsley

Saturday August 1, 2009Barnsley 1 - 1 Manchester City

By William Wood | In Match Reports - Away Games

Micah made his return to action for Manchester City as Mark Hughes’ side drew 1-1 with Barnsley at Oakwell.

Having returned to full fitness, the 21-year old occupied the right-back berth in a defence that also contained recent City addition Kolo Toure.

It was the Premier League side who had the first opening of the encounter, Nigel De Jong sending Shaun Wright-Phillips clean through only for the England international to slip in the penalty area.

Another of City’s summer signing, Emmanuel Adebayor, was then denied after Craig Bellamy picked him out in the six-yard area by trialist O’Neill Thompson.

Luke Steele was on hand two minutes later during what was a period of incessant City pressure to deny Robinho after the Brazilian had weaved himself a chance, and he went close again moments later with an effort that flew just a yard over.

Jon Macken did manage to threaten Shay Given’s goal during the first spell of attacking play from the hosts, connecting with Martin Devaney’s pinpoint cross but directing his header just wide.

Steele is rated as one of the top goalkeepers outside the top-flight and he demonstrated why with a superb double stop midway through the first half, blocking Bellamy’s effort before climbing back to his feet and stopping a shot from Adebayor that looked destined to hand City the lead.

The deadlock was almost broken by Jacob Butterfield whose shot from 20-yards smashed off the crossbar, but despite the best efforts of both sets of players they trudged in at half-time on even terms.

The visitors appeared to have grabbed the lead within eight minutes of the restart as Robinho exquisitely flicked the ball on for Adebayor, and while the striker lobbed the ball over Steele it rebounded off the underside of the bar.

Likewise, Robinho was almost celebrating when his curling effort evaded the Barnsley goalkeeper before returning off the woodwork as City did everything but score.

Stephen Ireland – one of City’s most impressive performers last term – let fly from 30-yards in his own attempt to edge his side in front, but Steele was well-positioned to remove the danger.

And the Barnsley’s stoppers form continued as he made save after save, denying Bellamy twice in quick succession.

Against the run of play, though, Barnsley seized the lead, David Bogdanovic blasting his shot beyond the City defence and Given to make it 1-0.

However, the lead was short-lived as Ireland picked out Martin Petrov at the far post with two minutes left on the clock, and that was to be it as both sides continued their pre-season preparations in an entertaining clash.